bodybg02

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Historical Figure of the Month: Marie Antoinette

"Let them eat cake", one of the most infamous quotes in world history, has long been attributed to Marie Antoinette, the French Queen who was beheaded for treason. But did she actually say the very words that brought about her demise? Recent evidence suggests that, no, she never did.

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten."

"I was a queen, and you took away my crown; a wife, and you killed my husband; a mother, and you deprived me of my children. My blood alone remains: take it, but do not make me suffer long."

"Farewell, my children, forever. I go to your Father."

And my favorite Marie Antoinette quote:

"Courage! I have shown it for years; think you I shall lose it at the moment when my sufferings are to end?"


posted by Rachelle
at 1:32 PM