bodybg02

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Bandwidth Bites!

I really had no issue with bandwidths before. Never even knew what they are. But just this morning, as I was checking my blogs and websites to check their page rank (because someone offered me $25 for every site with PR 4 and above that I could trade links with), I was greeted with a blatant error message, "Lots of peeps! Transfer exceeded" and it's on my main website!

Oh, no, not again... Do I really have that many visitors? Hmm..

FYI: In website hosting, the term "bandwidth" is often used metaphorically, to describe the amount of data that can be transferred to or from the website or server, measured in bytes transferred over a prescribed period of time. This can be more accurately described as "Monthly Data Transfer".

Web hosting companies often quote a monthly bandwidth limit for a website, for example 500 gigabytes per month. If visitors to the website download a total greater than 500 gigabytes in one month, the bandwidth limit will have been exceeded.


Without shilly-shallying, I took the bull by the horns and transferred my files to my new domain http://www.creativenuclei.com (domain and hosting was paid for me by Cyfocus.net as compensation for my creative services). It took me a while before I had all 290 objects (with 96 html files) transferred to its new home (I could hardly believe I created that number of pages and edited that many pictures). I checked the site again and realized I put them on the main domain. Since I'm sharing the main domain with my fiance I've decided to place it on a subdomain... a new subdomain because I have other plans for http://pen.creativenuclei.com. I thought for a moment and decided on http://ra.creativenuclei.com so it'd look like a quasi domain.

Moving files... and DONE!

Needless to say, I also created a new e-mail address. My friends can now email me at this new address:
rachelle@creativenuclei.com (Cool email addy isn't it?)

Now, I'm feeling like a million dollars (though I'd only be getting $25 for that site and nothing for blogging about it). Still, I couldn't feel any better! I would've never thought I could handle a client FTP software, and navigate through the control panel of my domain without having to go through the menu over and over again to find what I was looking for! It really pays to learn and get techy! (I couldn't believe I just admitted that!)


posted by Rachelle
at 5:06 PM