bodybg02

Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Speaking Engagement..for me?

Yesterday, I was just puttering around the house when I heard the phone ring.

“Rachelle Arlin Credo?” a man with an accent asked.

"Yes?" I told him.

“This is Jose Sarsoza,” he began. “You might know who I am?"

"I guess not..." I said coldly.

"I'm the editor-in-chief of Health and Home Magazine and I have great news for you,” he said. “Your latest story submission was accepted for this month's magazine issue but that's not all, we've chosen you as one of our guest speakers for the coming Writer's Conference in October which will be held in Cagayan de Oro."

I yelped a TAZ DINGO (or words to that effect) and then fell silent.

“Are you sure you want me to speak in the conference? I've never tried that before.”

“Yes, we're certain!” he said with a chuckle in his voice.

“How much is the registration fee?” I asked, my mind ricocheting from digit to digit.

“No, no! There's no registration fee for guest speakers," he said reassuringly.
"You don't have to decide now, really. There's still a few months ahead to think it over. I'd just call you again sometime. I suppose we'd get your decision after 5-6 months?”

“I guess so. But why me?" I asked, curious to know.

“Your story was really good but more than that, there was something in the way you write...the way you describe events in detail. And of course we’ll want you there to talk about your writing and offer tips and advice."

“OK… And, my goodness, thank you!”

"I'll talk to you in a few months then," he said then hung up.



I’ve been very ambivalent about writing non-fiction, or stories in general in the last few months (i'm more of an essay/article writer and poet than a story writer). I suppose this sounds a little, well, obvious, but with this "guest speaker" invitation and an experienced editor saying that my story is great stuff, well, that’s astounding. It’s incredibly motivating and validating. And while I’m still not exactly sure and convinced how and why I got picked to be one of the lucky few to get invited as a guest speaker, I think that's enough reason for me to believe in myself and err..write another story?

Somebody must have nominated/suggested me from the staff or voting panel. If they’re reading this: thank you.

(Now, I'm feeling this sudden urge to email someone who told me a year ago that "i'm no writer and that my stories are lousy" and tell her the news. :P Thanks for that remark. I just wrote a good story worth $75 and reprinted it for $21 and another two for $21 and $5 with free contributor copies to boot!


Thoughts of the Day:

*Never look down on anyone unless you're reaching out a hand.

*People learn from mistakes and criticism and when they do, watch out.

*You are never always right. And sometimes, even if you are, you might just be wrong.

*Mimicry is the greatest form of envy.


I received an email a few months ago that someone copied my poetry. The concerned person also emailed the culprit but as expected, she denied it. Now, he emails me again and reports that the same culprit is copying my website's layout - header elements and all (she's building her own site now) Well, in that case, she must really be a fan..and she doesn't even know it! (or she just won't accept it) In any case, I guess I should be thankful it's not the other way around. Perhaps I need to thank her for adding hits to my visitor counter too?


posted by Rachelle
at 10:05 PM