bodybg02

Friday, June 29, 2007

Christian Fiction Challenge (June) - Dad-lit or Beach Read

This months challenge: Grab a family member or friend and ask them to join the challenge. Your friends have towering TBR piles too! Anyone can sign up for the challenge. You can sign up by yourself. But to be entered in the draw, you must bring a friend. Do they have to blog??? No. They can answer their challenge questions on your blog.

Here's who I brought with me:



Me and Echo




Echo's TAKE:
1. Title: Violette Between
2. Author: Alison Strobel
3. Copyright: 2006
4. How long was the book languishing in your TBR pile? 5 months
5. What made you buy/borrow the book in the first place? It was given to me by Rachelle
6. What were your thoughts on the story?

I'm not really into print books (i'm an audiobook and film junkie) so when I was asked to pick up this book I was all willy-nilly. But the book wasn't so hard to read and I was immediately pulled along through the book by its unusual narrative and unique storyline. Christian, the psychologist and Violette, the artist was a really good match but it's an unrequited love for Christian and that really pulled some heartstrings. I couldn't imagine myself being in a relationship with no intimacy and worse yet, knowing that your partner is in-love (or still in-love) with her deceased husband.

All in all, I loved Strobel's book. The story really hit home and as hard as it is to admit, it jerked a tear or two. The suffering, loss, and struggles of the hero and heroine became all too real to me I had to put it down in a sec. I am thankful for Alison Strobel's gift of writing and the awesome way she uses that gift to reach her readers!

7. Now do you wish you read the book sooner?
Not really. I would have wanted to read it on my own pace but having been able to read it just reignited my love for reading that has been pushed aside by the chaos of adulthood and a CG career!

8. Any questions/statements for the author?
Would a fall from a step-ladder really put someone in a coma? I would have expected Violette to have a few bruises and fractures but coma is far not too real, I think.
Will Christian and Violette have kids in the future?
Will there be a next installment?

9. Where will the book reside now?
I think I'll give it away to a friend or a relative. I would want it to touch someone else's life than get piled up with dust.

10. Go kiss a dad. Your relative or husband! If you read a book by the beach, pool, or tub: did you at least RELAX?? I hope so.
Can I just kiss my fiancee? Well, relax wouldn't be the word exactly but it did take my mind off other things and it felt good.



MY TAKE:

1. Title
This Pen for Hire

2. Author
Laura Levine

3. Copyright
2003

4. How long was the book languishing in your TBR pile? Just a month or so. I bought it from a book sale.

5. What made you buy/borrow the book in the first place?
Because it's chick-lit. Anything chick-lit is an apple of my eye.

6. What were your thoughts on the story?
The book is laugh-out-loud funny. It's a humor-mystery riot. I've enjoyed it from the very first page to the last. Jaine Austen (named after the great Jane Austen) was rip-roaring fun. She's nosy when she's curious but knows how to use her gift of gab to get what she wants. I wasn't expecting much from the protagonist, being so naive and impulsive and insecure of her appearance but she has proved me wrong when she impersonated as a New York Times columnist, an attorney, and a police investigator with pure confidence and ease just to get the facts right through her investigation.

This book is fun and sassy with great characters and snappy dialogue. If you've read Deborah Donnelly, this book will definitely land on your keeper shelf.

7. Now do you wish you read the book sooner?
Yes, if I've known it was that good I would have devoured it as my breakfast, lunch and dinner. LOL

8. Any questions/statements for the author?
I've always wondered how you season your stories with humor. I've read quite a number of authors who have attempted at humor mystery but...failed.

9. Where will the book reside now?
My cabinet - where all my bought books hide and sleep.

10. Go kiss a dad. Your relative or husband! If you read a book by the beach, pool, or tub: did you at least RELAX?? I hope so.
I don't really kiss my Dad unless it's his birthday so I just kissed my fiance. :D
I read the book everywhere, even when i was attending a party or at the hospital having my regular checkup, so I wasn't really relaxed. I was frantic in finishing it. But I'm all relaxed now. What's the next challenge?


posted by Rachelle
at 4:50 PM