bodybg02

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Halloween Adventure

For years, I've been averse to writing dark poetry and the like. The reason behind? Simply because I carry the graphic images to my sleep. The word "trying" always meant an exercise in futility. But now, things have changed. I'm venturing into uncharted territory. Because of a poetry prompt, I finally created my first raw dark poetry! Though not edge-of-your-seat gripping, it's a quick read (sort of the literary equivalent of wine that pours well) and entertaining! It would probably get you out of your rut, even for just a while... Here it is:




Halloween Adventure
by Rachelle Arlin Credo

I was barely nine or ten
When I came to hunt for ghosts
At a barren makeshift house
that seemed deserted, or almost.

As I stepped up the stairs
The stench was in the air.
I knew then what I was in for,
And I wished I wasn't there.

My hands were quivering
when I turned the flashlight on
the eerie silence was deafening
Then I heard a groan.

I ran towards an armchair
and sat comfortably indeed;
Flicking the broken bulb on
just right above my head.

I sat there for an hour or so,
Till I heard a bit of static;
The TV monitor was flashing,
Something moving in the attic!

I grabbed my bag immediately
and rushed up the rickety stairs
from the crack beneath the door,
lights flashed in static glare.

"Anyone there?, I called out
But no one dared to speak
I was about to move down the attic
when I heard something squeak.

I turned back in anticipation
of whatever I might find
I could hear my heart thumping
and chill tingling up my spine.

I pushed the door open
and discreetly moved inside
when alas! I saw a girl
standing by my side!

She was wearing white
a cloak of silent terror
Her eyes, sunken red
streaked with shades of horror.

Suddenly, she vanished
in a flicker of surprise
I felt a sigh of relief
I thought I was gonna die!

Without second thoughts,
I dashed down the stairs
Towards the entrance door
and out of the haunting scare.

I thought that tale of ghosts
were just sick scary jokes,
For haunted houses told before
Turned out to be a hoax.

Yet that day I learned
though it had to be the hard way
that there really are supernaturals
and they coexist with us today.


Comments from members of my poetry group:


posted by Rachelle
at 1:50 PM