bodybg02

Monday, July 16, 2007

Interview with Veronica Arch

I'm happy to have here today Veronica Arch, author of Shifting Gears. If you like your books sensual and dripping with hot sexual encounters, then find yourself a comfortable chair to enjoy, you'll love this book. And without further adieu, an interview with Veronica Arch!

Why did you become a writer? Was it a dream of yours since you were younger or did the desire to write happen later in your life?
From the time I was little, I wanted to be a writer. Part of my desire, I think, came from my mother who used to write. I didn't actually start writing until about 10 years ago, though, and can't imagine why I waited so long!

What do you love about being an author? Is there anything you dislike?Shifting Gears by Veronica Arch
I love creating stories and bringing characters to life. One thing I didn't know about writing before I started was that you can do it all the time. I mean, writing is not just sitting at the computer putting down the words. It's also coming up with ideas and playing with plot lines in your head and you can do that anywhere and everywhere - and I do! (when I get into bed at night is often when I plot)

Having manuscripts rejected and/or receiving harsh or negative feedback is probably my least favorite part of writing.

How do you balance your personal and writing time?
I write every day at the same time. I find the routine primes me and my imagination and if I'm not writing at my regular times, I feel very odd. I am a creature of habit and find that helps keep me on track.

How do you write? Do your characters come to you first or the plot or the world of the story?
I get story ideas from everywhere and I'm not sure what triggers ideas. I can go weeks, for example, without any new ideas and then have three in one day. The number one thing that helps my creativity is relaxation. If I get too stressed, my creativity sneaks off and doesn't come back until things calm down again.

As for which comes first, characters, plot or setting, it really depends. Each one has the ability to strike up a story idea but if I had to choose, I'd say setting comes first more than the other two.

What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?
I write erotica and erotic romance, horror, science fiction and humor. I write erotica and romance because I like using love as a central theme in my stories. I especially like the theme as love as redemption. Erotica is also fun to write, let's face it. LOL

I write horror and science fiction because I have always had an interest in the paranormal. When I was younger, all I read was horror.

And I write humor because I like to laugh and make other people laugh.

Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?
Again, that depends. I have based some characters based completely on people I know. Of course, I change their name, occupation, anything else that could identify them. Other times, they come from my imagination or they are mixture of a real person and my imagination. Maybe all characters are, in fact, a little of both now that I think
about it.

Out of all the characters that you've written, who is your favorite and why?
Malekyn Beaumont from a novel I wrote called "The Black Fortune" is my favorite character partly because it was my first novel and partly because I sympathisized a great deal with her.

What would you want readers to take away from your books?
First, I would like them to enjoy the book. Second, I would love it if something in my work resonated with them. I believe writing is another form of communication and connection between people and so I would like to connect with the reader on some level. When I read, I also like to learn something new - even if it's how another person experiences disappointment or falling in love. So it would be great, too, if the reader felt they learned something new - even a small thing - from my work.

Do you have any advice for beginning writers in regards to writing a book?
Write and write some more. Read a lot. Join a critique group made up of people you trust who are familiar with you genre. And then write some more.

What are you reading right now?
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audry Niffenegger

If you could be anyone or anything that you wanted, who or what would you be?
I would be me, only less of a worry wart! LOL


posted by Rachelle
at 1:24 PM