bodybg02

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Pool Boys by Sierra Dafoe

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Sierra Dafoe published her first erotic romance with Changeling Press in May of 2006, and hasn't stopped since! Named a Rising Star of Romance in July by Love Romances and More, she received three 2006 CAPA nominations including Favorite Erotic Author (a fact which still has her stunned!) She now writes for Ellora's Cave as well, with her first book, "Make Me", coming out in October!

Sierra lives in northern New Hampshire's White Mountains with her incredibly tolerant hubby, her thoroughly obnoxious cat, and her twelve-year-old puppy. Visit her at www.sierradafoe.com for free stories and monthly contests, and join her yahoogroup at http://groups.yahoo.com/The_Sierra_Club -- she loves hearing from her readers!

Sierra's Blog: http://dnwriters.blogspot.com/
Add her as a friend at Myspace: www.myspace.com/sierradafoe



ABOUT THE BOOK:

BLURB:

On her thirty-ninth birthday, Lainie gets a completely unexpected “present.” Divorce papers. Certain that her heart is irretrievably broken, she cries herself to sleep -- and wakes up, even more unexpectedly, in Belize. At a resort. With three of the most gorgeous pool boys she's ever set eyes on.

Rutger. Jamar. Paolo. Each more edibly handsome than the last. For Lainie, absolute, unendurable heartbreak is looking better all the time!



EXCERPT:

I’m not watching them. Really, I’m not. Anyone could see that what I’m really doing is lying here on the lounger with my sun hat tilted down over my nose, innocently reading my book.

Just don’t ask me the title.

What I want to know is what sick joker put a romance novel in my bag anyway. It wasn’t me -- that’d be like treating pneumonia with a good shot of the plague. There’s nothing quite like getting your divorce papers on your thirty-ninth birthday. I’d think it was intentional, but in twelve years of marriage the bastard never once remembered my birthday.

Actually, what I really want to know is what I’m doing here, because I sure didn’t decide to come to Belize. All I did was fall asleep crying. And woke up here, on a terrace beside a pool with tropical sunlight pouring down around me like honey.
But somehow, I can’t seem to care. Hell, I can’t even summon enough motivation to spread on sunblock. Instead, my gaze is drawn, over and over, to the resort’s pool boys.

Jesus, they’re gorgeous.

Rutger dives into the pool, his muscles bunching and flexing as he glides through the water. He’s a college student from Uzbekistan. I asked him when he brought me my first G-and-T, while trying desperately to keep my gaze on his face -- it kept wanting to wander down to the vicinity of his crotch. He’s also the one who told me I’m in Belize, which was nice of him, because I had no idea.

And then there’s Jamar, in the lifeguard’s chair. I’d feel significantly more panicked about the entire situation, except that it’s impossible to feel much of anything but awe when looking at him. Teenage girls flock around him, tilting their pert little sunscreen-coated noses up to giggle and admire his beaded dreadlocks. I don’t blame them -- his abs are so taut they ripple when he laughs, and his skin glows like polished mahogany across his broad, rolling shoulders.

Jamar’s eyes flick toward me, and I hastily drop my gaze back to my book.

The story’s right in the middle of a hot scene, too, which doesn’t help at all. Against my better judgment I get sucked in, skimming along quickly as the heroine wraps her hand around the hero’s raging erection, making him groan deep in his throat as her fingers brush the hard, velvety tip…

“Good book?”

I sit up abruptly, blushing. Closing the book (and trying to ignore the pulsing in my crotch), I look up at Paolo.

Paolo’s my favorite. He’s Portuguese, and his accent is just like the air here; soft, sultry, way too much like sex. He’s standing over me -- looming, more like, he’s got to be six foot two at least -- in nothing but those tight white shorts they all wear. His hair is a mass of black ringlets that falls almost to his shoulders, his chin has this wicked cute cleft in it, and his eyes are surrounded by the thickest lashes I’ve ever seen on a man.

“You seemed to be enjoying it.” He picks up my glass -- it’s way too easy to imagine those strong deft fingers curving around my calf, or cupping my ass -- and raises a questioning eyebrow. I nod, uncomfortably aware of the trickle of moisture between my thighs.

I’m almost relieved when he walks away to fetch me a refill. Besides, it gives me a chance to watch that hard, round soccer player’s butt flex beneath those white shorts. Guiltily, I tear my gaze away, and find Jamar studying me from across the pool. His full lips pull back in a brief, brilliant smile, and he nods slightly as if telling me to relax, enjoy myself -- it’s Belize, after all.


INTERVIEW:

Why did you become a writer? Was it a dream of yours since you were younger or did the desire to write happen later in your life?
I'm not sure people really become writers -- I think some of us are just wired that way, the same way some people are wired to be musically inclined, or good with numbers. I just always wrote; the first story I can remember writing was in second grade. But I did make a conscious choice a few years ago to try and become a professional writer. It just seemed to make sense, since it was something I was always doing anyway!

What do you love about being an author? Is there anything you dislike?
Well, it's very different in some ways, doing this as a job -- and it is a job. I show up, I do my work, or I don't get paid. And despite popular mythology, writers don't live on air and bread crusts, or at least they vastly prefer not to! I actually like deadlines -- they keep me on track. It can be really easy to say, "Hey, it's gorgeous out. I'll write tomorrow!" You can't do that when you've got a deadline looming.

How do you balance your personal and writing time?
Personal time? What's that?

How do you write? Do your characters come to you first or the plot or the world of the story?
Sometimes it's just an idea, a sort of "Hey! Wouldn't it be neat if...?" Sometimes what I get first is the character. That happened with Wolf Bound; Wolf just showed up in my head and I knew I had to write a story about him!

What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?
Genres -- well, within the "big" genre of erotic romance, I write a lot of things. Fantasy, paranormal, shapeshifters, sci-fi... I like reading a lot of different things, so I guess it's not surprising that I'd like writing a lot of different things, too. Luckily, my readers seem to enjoy the variety!

Pretty much, I write the stories I write because they're the stories that come to me. I think every writer has read books that have made them think, "God, I wish I'd written that!" But it doesn't work that way. You work with what you get given.

Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?
From my imagination. At least so far as I know!

Out of all the characters that you've written, who is your favorite and why?
Oh man, that's like picking between my kids! Not fair. I love them all, for various reasons. In the Dragon's Heir books, I love Darrek and Rand -- Rand's so gentle, so fundamentally decent. Darrek's all prickly and proud and yet he has this deep, deep need to be loved... My pleasure-slaves, Merkun and Kantou... Yum! And I've recently had a bunch of very dark, very dominant vampires show up on my doorstep -- Fyodor, who's the alpha vampire in All Wrapped Up 2: Absolute Power, coming in July from Changeling Press, and Adrian Dane, the vampire seeking his mate in Make Me, which is coming out in October from Ellora's Cave.

What would you want readers to take away from your books?
More than anything else, I'm a storyteller. I'm an entertainer. If a reader puts down one of my stories and enjoyed it, I'm happy. If she wants to go find her significant other and pounce him, then I know I've done my job, LOL! And if she comes away with her faith in the magic of love renewed, then I've really hit the gold. :-)

Do you have any advice for beginning writers in regards to writing a book?
Write a lot. A LOT. Like anything else, it comes with practice. Talent is great, but it'll only get you so far. After that, what it's mostly about is plain old hard work.

What are you reading right now?
For some reason I've been on this romance/suspense kick recently. Just got done with Jayne Ann Krentz's All Night Long -- another one I recently read was Heather Graham's Night of the Blackbird, I thought that was really well put together.

If you could be anyone or anything that you wanted, who or what would you be?
Me, only more successful? LOL! It'll come...



Pool Boys by Sierra Dafoe
ISBN (13): 978-1-59596-735-0
Genre(s): Paranormal, Hot Flashes
Theme(s): Ménage
Series: Escapes
Length: Hot Flash
$1.99 from Changeling Press




Purchase Pool Boys by Sierra Dafoe HERE!!


posted by Rachelle
at 7:27 PM